The crazy-ness of the past couple weeks has caught up with me, and i’m finding myself thinking about Summer. We have yet to even get a taste of Spring, so as usual I am ahead of myself. But I can’t shake the thought of warm summer nights, escaping to the island, multi-colored gelato + relaxing with my loves. Summer, Please. Come. Soon.
Did you hear…we’re expected to have a gloomy next 2 weeks. To get over a rain-filled weather forecast I decided to dedicate this post to the sunny world of Color Blocking. What better way to get into Spring + Summer-mode then to daydream about all the possible (limitless) combinations that you can create using your favorite vibrant colors!
Color-blocking has been around for a few seasons, but according to the runways, it’s a trend that we’ll be seeing through t’ill next Spring!
1. Colorblock Chartreuse Bodycon Dress $35
2. Van Der Staeten Triangle Drop Earrings $615
3. Au Contraire Kate Spade Hinge Bangle $148
4. Anya Hindmarch Gold Valorie Clutch $555
5. Zadig & Voltaire By Gaia Repossi Gold-Plated Cuff $1,680
6. Giuseppe Zanotti Exclusive Colorblock Sandals $1,140
Day #5 closed the final day of Vancouver Fashion Week with Internationally known designers including Milan’s Duyan, Brazil’s Soddi, Mexico’s RG Sanchez and Vancouver’s own, Eva Chen. I feel blessed to have been able to attend the entire week of VFW with Vancouver’s most faboosh & undeniably talented. Here are some of Day #5’s most memorable moments:
1. With stylish people 2. Soddi Menswear Finale
3. Eva Chen Couture 4. Front Row Day#5
5. Editor-in-Chief of KENTON Magazine gives a post-show interview 6. With Jamal Abdourahman, Founder/Producer of VFW
7. Photo by: Alex Waber 8. Would be fun getting through airport security in these! But I love them none the less.
9. Spotted: Mr. Andy Chu sitting front row 10. My new friend & addition to the KENTON team, Jacky Le @JackyyLe
What a blast! I’ve met soo many amazing people; designers, writers, photographers, stylists, reporters, buyers.. the list goes on. A lot of really great relationships were formed over the past week that I hope to keep for years of fashion-faux-pas to come.
A special thank you to my team, at Van Fashion Week; Naja Kader, Sandra Chung, Erica Chapman, Holley Vestad, Connor Gallaway, Jamal Abdourahman, Charles Zuckerman, Erica Lynn, Colleen Tsoukalas, Madison Blake, and Megan West – we did it! To KENTON Magazine for adopting me as one of your own, red seat and all – you guys were so much fun! And to all the amazing designers – the inspiration for dedicating a week of our lives to viewing, oohing and ahhing your beautiful collections of art.
Until next season! XO
Day#4 kicked off with a full house to see Van Fashion Week’s most anticipated collections of the week from Xsenia & Olya, Korea’s Ha Sang Beg, VAWK – with a dual show to debut of their sister line; VAWKKIN, Teresa Rosati and Farida Lalji.1. Ha Sang Beg receives a warm welcome after showcasing his grungy-chic collection 2. Beg being swarmed by reporters, media & press post-show3. Front Row for Ha Sang Beg’s show 4. Coral hues caught by @virally5. VAWK was definitely the most anticipated show of the night, also premiering their sister line VAWKKIN. 6. VAWK’s amazing collection “Sci-fi Samuri”
7. Catwalk discussions with @KENTONmagazine 8. Ending Day#4 off with Social Media Dream Team Naja Kader @senseofsomethin & Sandra Chung @sandrogynous
Day#3 was a HUGE success! We had a packed house – the young + trendy came to impress in their best, for amazing talents from Canada, South Asia, London, Italy and Sweden. The designers shut down the runway with impressive collections, chic accessories and jaw-dropping makeup. So much amazing talent in one room! I was thrilled to meet many of the designers, stylists, photographers, fellow bloggers and industry go-getters throughout the night – everyone has been so kind & supportive of one another, so great to see! As promised, I captured some behind-the-scenes snapshots for your VIP PASS to Day#3 of Fashion Week:
1. Say hello to the Doctor! I was so happy to have Monika Hibbs, founder of The Doctor’s Closet & creator of the increasingly popular Bfrend Bracelet as a guest at last night’s shows. Follow her @doctorscloset 2. I am wearing White Cobra Bfrend bracelets (they are so amazing- I never leave the house without at least 1!)
3. Founder/Producer of VFW, + old friend, Jamal Abdourahman being interview between shows by the lovely Mandy Ross. Follow Mandy @MandyJRoss. 4. My daily dose of KENTON Magazine, today Editor-In-Chief, Alexander Liang & I are twins in white denim! Follow @KENTONmagazine
7. Paparazzi! 8. Posing with the Social Media Queen of VFW12, THE Sandra Chung. How amazing is her look tonight?! seriously, Follow her @sandrogynous
Warm congratulations to designers; Pure Elegance by Parna Ghose, Angel Eye, Well Groomed, Bano eeMee, Harricana Par Mariouche & Janet Theresa, Moi Multiple & Jenny Grettve! You all were beyond amazing, to our team @Vanfashionweek and to our sponsors! Now…on to Day#4, showtime is an early start today at 4pm, so make sure to follow me for live coverage @must_have_maven! XO
I was sad to have missed Day#1 of Fashion Week due to having to give a business presentation (yes, I am a business student!) but eager to attend Day#2 featuring some amazing talent. The venue was PACKED with Vancouver’s most stylish people – We viewed collections from Melis Nur by Nur Kurban, Leigh Rose, Eunmi Kim, Jun Young Kim & Synikal by Byron Abad, Justin Zachary, Pamela Ordonez and Megan McKenzie.
I’ve included a series of candid snapshots from my personal instagram ‘musthavemaven’ from throughout the night – Enjoy!
RunwayFront Row with my fellow VFW bloggers! Follow the lovely ladies: @TheD3vilwearsG @hollyvee @vanfashionweek
David Jack + friends, both ladies in designs by David Jack (above)
Backstage with the Models wearing Megan McKenzie (below)
BIG thank you’s to the Chinese Cultural Center for hosting our venue, to KENTON Magazine for sponsoring our Blogger Lounge and to Pink Elephant Thai for catering all the yummy appies served between shows!
Last night I had the pleasure of attending Vancouver Fashion Week’s opening gala at the very posh Opus Hotel in Yaletown. The ‘Purple’ carpet was rolled out for industry designers, stylists, photographers, editors, buyers, models and bloggers to celebrate the start of a week full of fashion! The party was a fabulous success with a major turnout – mingling through the entire first + second floors as well as the Opus Penthouse.
What I Wore
The press were in a frenzy in the media pit!
I was thrilled to finally meet Alexander Liang, editor-in-chief of Kenton Magazine – He’s so maj! Follow @KENTONmagazine
The Gala wrapped up the night with an amazingly excited energy for the week ahead. Hope to see you at the show!
We’ve watched, New York, Paris, London, Milan…and now, it’s our turn! Vancouver Fashion Week is gearing up and kicking off the season with our opening gala tonight at the Opus Hotel. It’s a jungle out there, so I’ve prepared my Must-have Maven’s Guide to Surviving the madness:
1. Plan your outfits: Fashion Week isn’t just about seeing it, but rather being seen! Inspect, inspect, inspect your outfits ahead of time to avoid having to make an emergency pit stop at the dry cleaners.
2. Pack your purse with the necessary snacks + steer clear of hunger pains during the chaos. Clif bars are perfect for a quick pick-me-up in between shows.
3. Mother nature could give a crap about Fashion Week, so plan accordingly in case she decides to wreak havoc. Take with you, your chic-est trench + stash a mini umbrella in your purse.
4. Power-up: extra charged batteries for any device you own is key. Don’t be afraid to plug-in in between shows – there’s nothing worse than missing the grand finale because you were too embarrassed to whip out your charger!
5. Be organized: print out the schedule + anticipate where in the venue you need to be where the action is. Do not be late + always RSVP!
Fashion Week Survival Essentials
In addition to cash (hailing cabs), bottled water and a bold lipstick, here are some VFW2012 essentials you must-have to keep calm, cool + collected during all the madness:
1. Mother-Nature resistant Trench
2. Chic Flats for tired feet
3. iphone, blackberry, android – whatever device you are working from
4. Power-up: batteries, chargers for extra juice in case of a crisis
5. Hydrate: keep a bottle of water in your purse
6. Snack-time: protein bars are great to have in between shows
7. Bold Lipstick
8. Freshen-up: keep fresh with Orbitz gum
9. Oxygen Mask: Bliss Triple Oxygen mask is a perfect relaxer for you + your skin after the damage is done, post-show
I will be covering Fashion Week during the 6-day event so be sure to follow MHM on Twitter & Instagram ‘musthavemaven’ for behind-the-scenes coverage + live tweeting throughout the shows! Tweet #VFW12
Good morning!! How are we all doing? The weekend is right around the corner and I could not be more happy about it! St. Patrick’s is fast approaching and in the spirit of pots of gold, rainbows + leprechauns I’ve compiled some of my favorite Emerald hues in celebration of St. Patrick’s day!
I adore this emerald sequins form-fitting dress + Angie’s long-sleeved mermaid gown by Versace
Emerald hues rule the runway
On St. Patrick’s day (this Saturday) I will be attending our first Fashion Blogger’s Clothing Sale Event at the Waldorf downtown! I hope that many of you will make an appearance- if you do come say a friendly hello!
Details here XO